Sunday, May 17, 2009

Mahahiki Day 3

Dave  Mike



I am toasted. Yesterday was @$#$'n awesome! We couldn't have asked for better conditions. The downside was because of the great conditions, the Sun beat the hell out of us. We launched from under Makai Pier and paddled straight out to Rabbit Island to the East. Paddled out with Dave and Mike into calm seas for a cruising day of bottom fishing.
       Once we got to the spot, we dropped down the damashi and started to pick up the usual suspects. Moana, Ta'ape and of course the dreaded Hagi. Dave was lucky enough to pick up a Tableboss (A'awa) and Mike had hooked up to something big but got the hook spit back.  The Opelu we dropped down was hit and miss. Most of them torn up by the Hagi schools below the surface.  
I was able to get points on the board with a Ta'ape and Moana. The other Moanas I caught were dropped back down as bait. They got hit but I never hooked up. One of the hooks I used, 15/0 circle, had bite marks on it. So I was thinking a small shark.
Points or no points, it was a beautiful day. I guess the pressure to get points on the board is off so next time I can just concentrate on having a good time.



Here we are gearing up.

The bird sanctuary at Rabbit Island


Some of the catches


Mike Hooked up? Turns out he was...

No comments:

Post a Comment