Monday, September 14, 2009

Makahiki Day 18

Sun. 9/13/09
Day 18
Kaneohe Bay

Met up with Stan, Mike and Rob at 6am by the canoe hale' at Heeia Pier. Surf around the islands were 3-5 so K-bay seemed the best route if we wanted to be on the water.
We all launched into some calm bay waters and headed out towards the sand bars out in the middle of the bay. Everyone had their own strategy for the day. Mine was to whip the flats hoping for a Papio or O'io. Once I got the flats I found it was calm enough to stand up and try some sight casting. I was able to see a small school of O'io and tried casting ahead of them with a small grub. All I did was spook the crap out of them. I'm thinking if it were a lightly tossed fly, there would have been a chance. But I don't have the equipment or knowledge to do that anyway.
After a few missed strikes I was able to hook up to a Papio in about 2ft of water at the edge of the reef. It was just under the legal size and was let go to grow up.
The fishing was quiet and no one really caught anything.  All the same, it was a nice day on the K-bay waters.

Hrs logged:
0630 - 1100hrs




Mahalo to Mike for taking some pretty cool pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment