Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Sat. 10/10/09 - BACHI'd

Paddled out from Pokai Bay at 0600 towards the structure where I had caught the previous Kagami. Just passing the mouth of the harbor I had let out a 3" Blk/Slvr Crystal Minnow which I had dipped in some UniButter purchased online from Hook1.com and was prepping my Halalu bait when I noticed some Porpoise hanging about. I even took some video with my cellphone and uploaded to Facebook. That's when I noticed the baitfish casually feeding around the kayak. I had no damashi rigs so I didn't even try to make bait.
And then BAM!, my yak gets rocked to the left and all within a few seconds I see my  rod bend back and the hear the braid get ripped from the reel. A big splash behind me makes me turn my head in time to see a spinning launch of a porpoise not ten feet behind me. Also I noticed that the slack in the line had looped on the tip of my rod and another boost from that dolphin would've flipped me over for sure. Another second and I had already unsheathed my knife and cut the line. AU'WE!!
OK.. I've had lures float behind me before within spitting distance of a pod. The have never taken a lure nor have they taken lures from other kayakers that I know of. The only difference was the added goop on the lure. I guess it works but just not in the way I was hoping.
And the Hawaii superstitions prevailed also. I was BACHI'd the rest of the paddle. Even after marking loads of fish at the wreck site, I couldn't catch a break. Lots of strikes, but had da rubba hooks.
After a few hours, I called it a day and paddled in early.  Plus I had to save some energy for the next day at the 4th Annual Fishing and Seafood Festival at Pier38 in Honolulu.

Til' next trip.
Mikey



No comments:

Post a Comment