Saturday, August 22, 2009

Makahiki Day 13

Got out on the water super early and way before any light.  Met up with Dave, who was already there dunking since 0200.  He had also just caught an Awa'Awa whipping a popper when I got there around 0330. As we were gearing up the yaks, Mongoose (Steve) shows up.  I'm glad I had my stern light up, which made for an easier and safer couple hours on the water before dawn. Unfortunately no hits on the lures.  
RobHall radios in as he arrives, it's still dark and I tell him to look for my light and he joins us out there.  
The winds were messy in the morning which is unusual, the remnants of TS Guillermo are still producing disturbances in our wind pattern.  It died off but came back every hour or so and gradually grew to higher 20mph plus gusts by 0930.
I had a few hits but nothing stuck.  Same with Dave.  Rob got an Omilu yakside but lost it due to a snag on his deck. Steve brought in a Kawakawa and an Omilu, both on Crystal Minnows. *Damn, I can't get those to work for me*.
On the paddle in, within the safety of the harbor thank goodness, Steve had met with a big gust of wind that went under his tramp on his A.I. that caused him to huli over.  I had heard a really loud flapping sound and turned in time to see him do slow motion up and over.  I radio'd immediately to check on him and he checked back that he needed help.  I was already on my way as well as Dave. 
He lost a few items but we were able to pick up what was still floating around.  He was able to right himself before me and Dave got there and was able to get to shore under his own power.  

It sucked that he lost some stuff but was an experience for us all.

Hours logged
0400 - 1000hrs
Caught two Hagi, released to bait steal another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment