Sunday, August 2, 2009

Makahiki Days 9 and 10

Sat 8/1 and Sun. 8/2
Haleiwa Harbor
Light winds til 0930 and then gusts to 20mph. Good times.

On Saturday I met up with "Irish" and got on the water before sun up. Did some trolling to the right and left of the channel but no hits. Tried heading towards Waialua but couldn't find the trench without a sounder. I went ahead and went more in-shore and dropped down at buoy 4 in front of Alii's. Finally hooked up and brought up a Nabeta. Scratch that one off the list because it's one of the species i've been trying to catch for a while.
Irish dropped down in the area and brought up an Oio and then later a pretty big A'awa. Auright! Good day on the water. Paddled in at 0930. Washed up quick, ate lunch and headed to work for some extra O.T.

Sunday morning. Ugh!!! I slept right through my 3am alarm and woke up at 6am. I was so beat from the day before. But, I still wanted to go so I loaded up and headed out. Got to Haleiwa at 7 and called out on the radio. Mike was already on the water and I let him know I was about to meet up with him.
He was already at Buoy 4 and said he already got a Nabeta. Right on! I dropped a Damashi but didn't get a nibble or bite or anything really. I decided to hit up towards Police Beach and troll back. Mike called out on the radio. I responded but he wasn't getting my transmission, only the key. F'n radio, i've already replaced it once. Time to invest in another make and model.
While out past the point the winds really started gust, I turned around and rode in some swells while getting pushed around by the wind and waves. Not a good thing. When I finally got into the safety of the harbor, Mike saw me and paddled over. We checked radios again and verified my Tx wasn't working. Crap.
On the way in we noticed an "Auntie" on a paddleboard and she kept slipping off and looking tired. I was doing a last ditch attempt at dropping Damashi along the reef line to get something when she called out for help. With Mike's help, I got my bowline situated and we attached it to her leash. I towed her backwards while she held on with Mike trailing to make sure she didn't fall of and to keep her at ease. He did a great job, talked to her and made sure was alright.
I came in without a catch but was glad we were in the area to help out a fellow watergoer.

Makahiki Score
Day 9 - 1 Nabeta
Day 10 - whitewash
Hours on Revo
Sat - 0500 - 1000
Sund - 0700 - 1000
Kayak Fishing, Hawaii, Oahu, North Shore

No comments:

Post a Comment